Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas will come but first...

I do have to tell my latest funny stories. First one on Keller. This is funny and precious. So a few days ago I went into his room in the morning because he was crying but it was not quite time for him to get up yet ie I was not quite ready for him to get up yet. So I held him and rocked him and sang him a song I was just listening to a sweet little song called Give me Jesus. I put him back down and got him up later. Well that was about a week ago and this morning same scenario happened. I had only taken a few sips of coffee and was opening my bible and I hear the cries from his little room. So I went in there and explained to him that it was only 645 and Mommy NEEDS to have some time alone talking to Jesus before she can play with him and take care of him all day. So I was putting him back to bed and he said, " Give Me Jesus?" I realized he remembered me singing that song to him a few days ago and wanted it again. So I sang it again and he puts his head on my shoulder and the only word he says is " Jesus" at the end of every stanza. While I am singing him this sweet song he pats me on the back and kind of whimper/cries and when I finish, he looks at me with a smile and says " do it again mommy." So all day long today, he will come up to me crawl in my lap and say " Give Me Jesus?" and snuggle and cry and little and ask for it again or get down and play. One of the sweetest memories for sure.
Second funny story has to do with Barnes and Noble which I do have a few stories from that store. Keller and I went last week after nap to play with the choo choo train and for mommy to buy a new book. So we walk to the back and their is another little boy around Keller's size playing and his mommy is watching. I smile at her and she glances away. Ok, a little shy I decide so I just walk Keller up to the choo choo table and remind him of the rules- play sweet, share, be kind, no throwing the trains at the other children etc. So I am standing off watching/browsing at the kid books and the other mother is sitting down in the chair so I decide to make just a tad bit of conversation because it is beginning to get a little awkward. " How old is your son?" I ask politely. "Two." She replies coldly and with nothing else. OK I get the picture now. She is a please leave me alone-I don't like to socialize- don't ever ask me another question kind of mom. That's fine, I get it but jeez I was just trying to me cordial. Then a few minutes later her son begins to cry and is telling his unsocial mommy that he does not want to share with the other kid(my kid) and wants him to leave the table RIGHT NOW! This was her response. " Oh you want the other kid to leave? I know you do. You are like Mommy and Daddy you don't want anymore friends because you already have plenty." Pardon? Did that really just come out of your mouth lady? Now my blood is boiling. First of all that a mother is training her child to not make friends. That is what kids do. And she didn't say well you at least need to share and be kind to the other kid, she basically was saying his attitude was just fine. AND at the same time trying to send a message to me standing behind her to leave her alone she did not need anymore friends. Give me a break woman, I was not trying to be your best friend I was just being friendly. I don't "NEED" anymore friends either, I had 10 bridesmaids for goodness sake! So I walked over and told Keller that we needed to say goodbye to the choo choo table and go see daddy. But what I wanted to say very loudly was there are some pretty snooty people in this world and mommy does not like to be near them with a 10 foot pole. "An ounce of pretension is like a pound of manure."

7 comments:

kelly said...

nooooooooooooooooooo! you're kidding!!! i can NOT believe that! good for you for just walking away!! that must have been tough not to shoot back a nice sarcastic remark!
& that story about the song is so sweet! hud was kind of sicky this weekend & i got to rock him & sing - it was such a special time as he usually does not let me do anything of the sort (too busy!!). what a special memory for you & keller :)

Sarah W said...

I can't believe she said that!! wow -- i can't believe people are that rude!!

the jesus song story is so sweet. it's been too long since we've seen that sweet boy (and you and James too)!

Katie said...

First story - PRECIOUS! I hope I have sweet moments like that with Z when he starts to talk. I love that song, too.

Second story - Unbelievable! I really wonder how many friends she has being so friendly herself. ; ) Sad. She didn't know what she was missing out on with you.

Brian and Becca said...

oh my goodness girl, that's horrible! it's so hard to just walk away right! i remember a time when my first was just a few months old and my parents and i went to mr gattis. i was in line getting food and joseph was at the table with my parents, my mom was making a bottle, and he was crying and being impatient and ready to eat. the woman in line behind me says "i wish someone would shut that stupid kid up!" OH MY GOODNESS, i have never had such a hard time keeping my fists down and staying calm. but i just calmly turned around and calmly said "that's my "stupid" kid". she got a horrified look on her face and turned the other way. uhg, some people. BUT you are a wonderful Mommy for walking away.

Robyn said...

i love that sweet story about the song. definitely one to write down and keep forever!

Kelly said...

Oh such a sweet story about him wanting that song...I don't know it, but I want to now : ) And I'm super impressed you were up at 6:45 spending time with the Lord...maybe you can rub off on me some. At that time of day, I am hugging my pillow praying to get atleast 30 more min of sleep. You inspire me! Love you,
Kel

Oh and for the other lady....absolutley no comment! Must have been that time you spent with the Lord! Good for you.

Christy said...

those stories are both so fun! i feel like they capture what motherhood of a toddler is like. there is so much teaching and training going on and you are doing such a good job in showing keller how to be trained in the way of the Lord!