Sunday, March 23, 2008

Busy Weekend.






We have had a fun filled weekend with quite a few first for Keller.
1st camping experience. We went to Livingston this weekend for a family reunion with James family from Houston and Louisiana and spent the night in a cabin about the size of my dining room table. Just big enough for a glorified twin for my six foot two hubby and I and a pac-n-play.
1st sloppy joes,1st s'mores, 1st campfire...
1st Crawfish boil-that was a first for Mommy as well. The pictures do not quite capture this Cajun tradition so I will try and paint the picture to give you a better idea if you have never had the privilege. A unassuming baby pool to begin with. Then come the LIVE, wiggling, creepy sounding 100 pounds of crawfish poured into the pool. Next is the salt bath- you have to pour salt and water on them so that they "purge" themselves. Oh boy, this is getting more interesting by the minute. So then you just let them swim around in the pool of salt water for a while. Meanwhile, the pot o' water begins to boil. In they go. Bit by bit the pool of mudbugs(one of the other beloved names of the FOOD I am about to ingest) begins to diminish as they face their fate in the boiling water of Cajun seasoning, corn and potatoes. Aunt Norma Lee offers me one of the first boiled. "Easy, just pull the tail off, then pick off the legs, don't eat the yellow part, those are the eggs, suck the meat out of the tail. To finish it off, suck the head for flavoring." Yikes. But you can all pat me on the back next time you see me because I ate a plate full. First and only time. Although Keller did not partake in the eating of the delicacy, he did play with them.
Keller also got to partake in his first Easter Egg hunt with his three other cousins. Such a wonderful time. We are blessed with great family. Happy Easter to you all.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Sounds like tons of fun. You are a brave woman...I dont' think I've ever eaten a crawfish, much less a plate of them!! Kellar is so BIG. I mean I've seen him in the other pics, but in these he just looks grown up. He's so cute! I can't wait to see yall in person. Love you, Kel.

Kelly said...

I am proud of you! Sounds like it was a fun weekend, Happy Easter!

Brian and Becca said...

I can't believe Keller is holding one of them. I have three sons and not a one of them would have ever dared pick up something like that at that age, crazy! Good job though, I never could have eaten them :)

Emily said...

You are so much braver than I am. There is no way I would ever have the nerve to eat crawfish. Other than that I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great get together with James' family.

Unknown said...

I love crawfish! Way to go!

Hillary said...

Oh...not sure I could have done that! I am so impressed!