Wednesday, April 15, 2009

From the foggy land of no sleep...






Wow life with two is non stop. I always think to myself during the day, "oh this would be a great blog story" and then I get here and I am just staring at the computer. The land of no sleep leaves me with about an 80 iq so bare with me during these weeks. Graham will be five weeks tomorrow and I can barely believe it. What a doll baby he is. He is having some sleep strugs so we are hoping to resolve them at least in a moderate way soon. I don't want to say that he has full blown colic but some definite signs of it. So I will take any advice from readers. He is starting to smile and it his heart melting. He loves to be held and will just snuggle into you- I think he may be a little more of a mamma's boy then my Keller who hardly ever snuggled but has actually become more of a snuggler as he gets older. Speaking of Keller, he gets cuter and cuter every day. Monday, he pinched his hand in my closet door and it drew blood, he was pretty painful looking. Of course I am nursing Graham as this happens and so I am trying to nurse baby, and comfort my toddler at the same time- a multitasking mom indeed! So yesterday I was asking him how his hand was and he told me, " I got punched." I said, " no baby you got pinched." SO now as soon as he sees someone,anyone, daddy, friends, the checkout lady at Target he says, " I got peeeeenched." Too cute.
Easter was super fun at my parents house. Lots of amazing food and a gorgeous turn out of a day for an Easter Egg hunt that we re did about 10 times. I love Easter 1. because it was such a big deal in my family growing up. We had a huge get together at my Aunt Ester's house with probably 15 cousins my age with the greatest back yard for a hunt. Horshoes, bar b que, so much fun. I wish we had that tradition still but every one kind of does there own thing now. And I love Easter more than ever because what a precious gift we have recieved in Jesus. I was struck by the Hebrews scripture then other morning- " for the joy set before Him, He endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of God." The joy of reconciliation and the joy of getting to be near his Father once again for eternity. Jesus is the greatest!

10 comments:

Bree said...

Ugh colic is rough! (hugs)... my remedies:
-you stop drinking/eating ALL dairy. I started with just milk, but she still had such bad gas I eventually gave up cheeses too; try it for 2 weeks and see if you notice a change...it takes a while to get it out of your/his system
-swaddle
-bicycle legs
-Little Tummies or Gripe water

I am sure you've tried several of these. Anna-Jane didn't so much have colic as just bad gas (I think). I hope you get some sleep!

Sarah W said...

Huddy was fussy too as a newborn -- it was acid reflux and bad gas. Reflux medicine made a world of difference for him. Also -- he had sleep problems too, so we let him sleep in an infant chair that kept him slightly inclined. That helped tremendously with the sleep issues he had. He slept so much more soundly sitting up a bit than he did flat on his back. When he got older (like 6 months old) we switched him to his crib.

I miss you all! Hang in there! I had a theme song to help me get through those difficult early months of having a fussy newborn and a one and a half year old. It's a little embarrassing to reveal to the internet world, but nothing like a theme song to boost the energy level! ha ha.

kelly said...

Hang in there a! Also please write down what works because I'm sure I'll need to know when we get there!
Our Hudson had lots of issues with colic, reflux, sleep... He slept in his carseat in the crib which helped alot! We also did the med for reflux but ours had to be given 1hr bf they eat which is usually when he had just fallen asleep! Next time I will definitely consider a stricter diet. I have a friend who drank smoothies like mad & that's about it!
I'm wishing you good sleep!!!

Nicki W. said...

love you. miss you. want to play soon? maybe we can take a nap together????

Nicki W. said...

ps...mug had acid reflux (the "silent" kind)and it was hard and tiring. you will make it thru the rough patch!!!!!! having 2 makes time flllllllllly by!

Kelly said...

Hey! No such advice about colic...neither of mine had it, but they would regularly cry a lot between 6pm-9pm EVERY night, then that was it. I don't think thats colic, just wanting to cry....it's ok for babies to cry sometimes.

About sleep...girl, I don't know. I just know that Caleb has been my way better sleeper than Hannah was. He just learned to put himself to sleep on his own a lot sooner because he had to, I was busy with Hannah. I remember putting him in his crib when I thought he was tired, he was screaming, about 10min later he was sound asleep. So who knows. But also he didn't really do a pacifier, just sucked his fingers, Hannah her thumb. So that kinda helped some too.

I love your pics so much! The one of the kids in the chair in easter clothes....so good of keller, and poor graham, I think ours was kinda like that from last year. Such cuties.
Love you.
Kel

Nicki W. said...

me AGAIN! no--it is not me teaching Zumba--it is a fun class though--a lot less intense than TKB more dancey. you should check it out--it would be a great post-baby workout b/c you would not kill yourself!!

Jill said...

Hollyn was queen of colic! Amen, amen on cutting out the milk. I wish I would have done it waaay sooner.
WHile they are crying try"
running vacuum cleaner
running garbage disposal or loud water
swaddle tightly and bounce and sing
Yes to the LIttle tummies
Lay him on his stomach on your knees and bounce softly
Go outside with him
and just pray!

Katie said...

Your boys are precious, and I'm glad things are "settling in." You're a great Mom. I hope he sleeps better for you very soon! Love you!

Robyn said...

Baby boy is barely 5 weeks old dear...i think "sleep strugs" are totally normal at this point! Don't worry...yall will get there...and in the mean time try not to be too hard on yourself or expect too much from him. And if he's loving to be held...I say eat it up and soak it in - cause as you know...they get big, busy, and squirmy real fast. I know being so tired is so tough - I hope you can feel supernaturally rested somehow! I got good advice during the "up-at-night" times to TRY to embrace it all (i know it can be hard)...but even in that there is the sweetness of their need for & dependance on you - and your ability to meet those needs and love and serve them in that way. You are doing a great job with both boys - giving and tending to them both with your all. Love you!